1. It is important that you REALISE THAT YOU ARE NOW RESPONSIBLE for Managing your own situation. This applies to your Financial affairs as well as your academic progress.
2. It is vital that you PLAN ahead. In relation to your Finances this will mean drawing up a BUDGET. Frank Dunleavy can help advise you on this if required.
3. BE REALISTIC and HONEST in your plans. - not always easy!
4. PRIORITISE your needs in your BUDGET.
ANTICIPATE the unusual and even the unexpected - it WILL happen!
5. KEEP RECORDS !!!. Where possible communicate in writing or email and KEEP COPIES OF ALL correspondence ! You should even take notes on your telephone calls – who you spoke to; what is their title; their telephone number or address so that you can get back to them.
6. ACT EARLY – deal with correspondence as soon as you receive it and read the small print – DON’T ASSUME and DON’T PROCRASTINATE !!!
7. BE SURE ! Know what should happen and when it should happen. If you have ANY doubts SEEK HELP
8. NEVER BE EMBARASSED OR AFRAID TO ASK !!! If you are not sure of the answer then your question is not a silly one !